KRISTAL User Community
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: If you should choose another DAW ...........
Pilsener

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 15:55
If you should choose another DAW ...........

....which one would you go for ?

I have been reading about ProTools, Reaper and Studio One (full version) so far.
Reaper offers a personal licence costing only $60, but how does Reaper compare to the others ?

I have to admit that I'm not tempted to spend $400-700 on any piece of software, really.
Gazebo

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 20:42

I have migrated to Reaper. Cheap, stable and relatively easy to use.

Still use Kristal though - it's so straightforward. I will always love it!!
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 23:53

Reaper compares well with all of the DAWs that I've used.

Kristal has been my favourite DAW since about 2005 for those "quickie" jobs. My next choice would be energyXT 2.6, then Reaper 4.22 and then Audacity 2. I've used and use Sonar Home Studio and Cubase LE4.

Now that Matthias is offering Studio One Free, I've been playing around with it. Kristal is still my first chice. I hope that Kristal is not about to disappear with Matthias's free offer of "beginner's" Studio One!
Pilsener

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 00:55

The free Studio One has some heavy limitations.
The worst ones are:
- Only 1 stereo-input or 2 mono-inputs can be used at once.
- No VST-support.

I doubt that Kristal will be overrun by this one yet.

Hedgehog

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 01:58

Hi, Pilsener!

The limits of no VST support or only one stereo/two mono in on Studio One Free (which will change over time to tempt more) doesn't worry me.... not for quick ideas. It all depends on what you want and how you work. I can work with it the way it is.

Kristal is still my first choice for "doodling"! I usually "master-mix" in energyXT or Reaper.
Pilsener

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 05:02

Kristal suits me fine, but I have a friend who is a MAC user, who I exchange projects with, so it would be nice if we could find a DAW who runs on both platforms.
He did obtain a PC and tried Kristal, but he didn't want to buy (or couldn't afford) a decent sound card just for this purpose, so he got stuck in latency-problems with the internal sound card, despite all the info in this forum.
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 05:32

Yep, Kristal suits me fine.... at home. I've never used a Mac except way back when and, in those days long gone, we used Steinberg... very expensive hardware and software back then!!

What about your friend trying energy XT? It runs on a Mac. You can get a free version of it. I bought and paid for mine... about $50 for the full version, I think.

I really don't understand the sound-card issue. Why not buy one? It doesn't have to be fancy. They're cheap and sure cure the frustrations of latency. (Audacity, like some other DAWs, can be set up to automatically correct latency without the need for an external card. You just have to measure the latency using a simple procedure.)
Pilsener

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 06:05

Quote: Originally posted by Hedgehog  

I really don't understand the sound-card issue. Why not buy one?

He doesn't seem to think that he need one.
It's a long story, but I'm pretty sure he'll realize the need eventually.
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 06:48

Okay, let's hope the light comes on for him!

By the way, I really like using Reaper, I think it cost me $60, but it's not as intuitive for me as energyXT; it takes me longer to find things or to remember where they are. That's why I put it in 3rd place. Audacity is cool because I have Linux on my travelling lap-top and it's the best DAW that I've found for Linux machines.

Nice talking to you.
agradeleous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-5-2012 at 22:58

Hi Pilsener been awhile since I've been here , just adding .. I have Reaper and it is a darn good Daw for the money. I have not used Kristal in a while :( but she is still there :) I drifted about other daws ( Demo's ) and I liked Cakewalk ok energy was ok and some others I can't remember but Studio 1 I attached to like we new each other and maybe in a way we did .
I had one need though and was Keyboards which is a new learning curve for me but what I felt I needed is an all in one daw that I did not have travel the multi verse web for vsti's and vst's . I spend enough time trying to get a song recorded let alone searching endlessly for vsti's and the likes.

To point , I found my new Daw and dived in head first she's mine like it or not. How it performs or any other for that matter I believe lies in the users ability to master the Daw and how well your mastering skills are.

Mine suck truth be told but I know a few here who know how to mix using next to nothing other then Kristal that blow the doors off a lot of others stuff aboard. So knowledge is everything ... Yeah not telling you anything new LOL but maybe some others.

So my new Daw is Reason 6 I can't tell anyone much about it from this end yet but maybe in time , Joom sure knows ;) for it had everything I needed keyboard wise and when 6 came out with Record incorporated into it, it was a no brainer for me.

K So I'm going on to much had a few beers cuz you avatar look so good ! I have a lot to learn with this daw and I have have high hopes.

MF has it for 399. and a nice 15% off so not a bad deal. :)

later :)

Ag
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 17-5-2012 at 00:37

Hi, there, again.

If I read Pilsener correctly, he didn't want to spend $100s on a DAW. Reason 6 is all well and good but....

As I said before, it depends on what you want and how you work. I play in everything I want. If I need a keyboard, I plug one in. If, I need drums, I put some mikes over the kit and record in stereo. If I need guitar, etc....

I don't need many FX. About the only ones I use are a little reverb and, sometimes, a little compression and I have them out-board anyway. I hardly ever use EQ on mix-down. I use the "K.I.S.S." principle and try to RECORD a punchy sound right from the beginning.

In the main studio, when we record other people, we need all the FX we can get to fix their performance as much as possible. That's when the FX racks are rolled out. Pitch correction is used a lot!!

But I thought we were talking about home recording here....?.. and I'm liking Studio One Free, so far.

Take care, HH.
agradeleous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-5-2012 at 02:02

Hedge has good points . Hedge you have any tunes posted I would love to here your stuff and mixes ... Don't ask me for mixes LOL but I have stuff to hear LOL .... anyway Pils man there is like you know shez loads of good daws like Hedge said it comes down to your work flow.
You like Kristal you should slip right into S1 if you ask me ... but to point Reaper is a no brainer for price . I had a learning curve but bought the training vids and that help a lot but I got Reason because it had what a lazy none educated none computer friendly guy like me needed all in one hahaha ...
Reap was pushed on to me and I don't regret it , I like it once you start to flow with it it will cover all the bases easily but latency that won't go away unless you/ your friend use's aiso4all .. if that did not work ask GC he's the pro on it ( sorry Gc ) anyway nothing wrong with drag'n a line up .... unless monitoring is behind , it's not is it ?
K , so no daw will fix latency if the system is slow. Folks to talk to who could help beside GC is ....... Dino and Jim50 both just use Kristal and Jim50 adds Audacity which Dino might incorporate something too ... But Drag and place to compensate for latency not so uncommon ... Heck I did it until I got the fast track pro by m-audio it had an asio card built in.
So hope to see you find a solution.
Hedge .... Music man I need music LOL
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 00:28

I don't post tunes. The work I do is for money. (Some silly peple actually pay for my ideas.)

A friend and I have run a professional studio/rehearsal room for nigh-on 40 years and we do sound-tracks for ads/TV/Movies, etc. I use Kristal at home and on the move to try out ideas before we do the real stuff in the studio.

I've done more fiddling with Studio One 2 Free and really like it. We're thinking of doing a main studio software change-over but I'm sticking with Kristal and energyXT on my travel lap-top. They don't over-load the Netbook's tiny brain!
agradeleous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-5-2012 at 00:12

Wow ! that is most .... I mean I am so jealous ! I have idea's believe it or not but no one willing to pay for them yet and always thought I had some great commercial concepts but maybe so has the many others of the world as well ! LMAO Alright so I understand no tunes might there be examples , clips of movie or commercials/other we can hear to sample your work ? You have got my curiosity level and 11 . Sorry Pil s back to you good sir :)
alboy
Posting Freak

Mood: enjoying his music

[*] posted on 25-5-2012 at 13:44

I still come back to Kristal. I know how to get results from it. I tried ****os(?) Reaper once. It had tons more features than Kristal but I found it a huge learning curve and shyed away from it. Something simple like recording a loop and copying and pasting it become haphazard, time consuming and error prone).

Hedgehog

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 02:39

Yep! I too still come back to Kristal. It does all that I need for my home & travel recordings. It's simple and straightforward. It's my sketchpad.

I've finished fiddling with Studio One Free. It's very good but takes up so much hard-drive and I don't need its bells and whistles.

My preferences remain the same. Kristal first then energyXT and then Reaper. If Audacity did ASIO, I'd prefer it to Reaper.... 'cause I always forget where things are in Reaper. It's not intuitive for me.

Catch you,
HH.
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
4-6-2012 at 10:21
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
21-7-2012 at 23:37
combobob
Administrator