KRISTAL User Community
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Possible improvement to this site?
leeevvii9

Mood: just dandy bru!!

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 08:00
Possible improvement to this site?

Hi to all,

[Can someone pass me the can opener, ..............Thanks. :P:P:P]

Again, i was wondering what everyone thought about an idea that was suggested some time ago, by one of our members.

That being, the idea of creating a "Stickies" board for the forum. This might involve [for anyone not being familiar with the concept], a SINGLE new post board, that is a "listing" of help topics, associated with KRISTAL, a quick reference guide, of sorts, for members [mainly new members/users], to easily gain access to some hints/tips from the more experienced users.

This would probably best be a CLOSED board, no public postings [so NO SPAM], and save alot of time for folks who "aint got the time" if you know what i mean. [Curiously, of the 80 pages of members listings, when sorted by post count, by page 20, each member has only posted 3 times. Thats roughly 75% of members that dont remain active.]

I have noticed that several members commented in another thread, that they enjoyed this forum due to its simplistic nature, only having 2 boards active keeps it simple, and i agree. So, is a sticky board too much? .........??

This of course, would be dependant upon Mathias, and his willing ness to grant such a board. Negotiations would need to be started of course, so i thought a mention of the subject may be in order, to test the validity of such an idea..

Anyways, lets see what everyone thinks?

cheers

gcdownie

Mood: F.I.N.E.

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 15:42

Excellent idea. Easy reference to some of the more common issues, etc. Not too much at all.

g
Bri

Mood: Happy, got me keys back

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 19:00

Of course, you've got to get Mathias to reply to you first...good luck.
Take care
Bri
Markwhite07

[*] posted on 13-9-2011 at 00:26

Leeevvii,

I'm all for it. It would make for a great "reference library".

Mark

leeevvii9

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 15:29

i just had a crazy though related to the Spam issue, ........maybe, we could meet them halfway [maybe we could chop them into little pieces and feed them to our dogs, ....[yes, you people who spam, thats what most folk think of you, that must make you feel all warm and fuzzy:P:P:P] ....not too sure if the dogs would be too impressed with that scenario though:D] [if you spammers are in fact human, which im pretty sure at least some of you are, then look at the logic behind your actions, YOU PI** people off!! how the hell do expect to sell anything to a client, that already believes your lower than an ants bum? LOGIC obviously NON EXISTENT ....ERROR! ERROR!!. But i personally believe that your motivations is more to annoy people, ....you dump your trash in forums, ....people get quite insultive towards you [GEEEZ! ....go figure!!] and vent their frustration at your unwanted assualts on their webspace, so you decide to vindictively step up your barrage of completely pointless spam trash, in order to satisfy your own lackings and justify your pointless existence in this society]
[talking to myself?, ....probably, but i feel better for saying it, and knowing im not like you knobs.]

Anyways, set up a dedicated spam thread, that these fools can post their crap in, to their sweet little hearts desire, .......hell, nobody would read it anyhow! Im relly not that serious about this, just bored and typing out loud, besides, these shining examples of humanity wouldnt have enough grey matter in the vast endless rash of space, that is their crainial cavities, to be able to find the thread anyway!!:P:P:P
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
16-9-2011 at 12:11
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
21-9-2011 at 05:21
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
27-9-2011 at 04:41
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
5-10-2011 at 09:24
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
6-10-2011 at 09:03
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
6-10-2011 at 11:52
alboy
Posting Freak

Mood: enjoying his music

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 11:52

Stop newbies from joining, posting one thread of rubbish or spam and diappearing.

Or is that not within a modulators permissions?

leeevvii9

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 00:45

Quote:

Or is that not within a modulators permissions?

No, unfortunately it isnt Al. That why i have been active on the spam issue, to see if Mathias might be generous enough to grant us these luxurys, but interests have hit an all time low lately, so i dropped it.

bigB1885
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 11:14

Hey Levi... Is it at least possible to trace the origins of these soulless folks? I wonder if they're coming from a single/similar domain...
If they are, maybe a complaint to the ISP would help..

leeevvii9

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 13:10

Hi BigB, welcome back mate.

i sent yuou a u2u.

alboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 13:22

I hear you leeevvii. I worry that with all this spam and a low level of activity from current legit users then its going to go to ruin. I know you and combo bob and Mark White are doing your darn best to stop the spam and keep this great forum running but it's a constant battle innit.

I hope you get more authority from mathious to be able to block spammers or make the criteria harder for newbies to join.

I'm a member of another forum neworderonline and they suffer the same problem from spammers. And the modulators have kinda got fed up with the maintenance side of the site. So it's a wide spread problem.

The government should introduce a spam tax. That might make the scumbags think twice lol:P

jim50
Posting Freak

Mood: .....STILL, OH HAPPY ME !!!

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 02:00

We have the same type of spammers on our site...and it's constant vigillance to wipe up after them!

On our site, the Admin has power to look up IP addresses of any new member, and can delete topics and posts by that person, and can ban the member, and or delete the members account.

There is site (www.stopforumspam.com) that we can report the suspected spammers address to, and check it against the registered IP's that come in from other sites that have also been spammed. ...then you can check the IP against the data base. .... so that's cool.

www.stopforumspam.com

The problem with trying to input your new found data (spammers addresses) on that site is that it's NOT easy to post new 'spam addresses' that we get at our site... we get 5 or 6 a day or more. You have to sign in and jump a bunch of hoops (to make harder for the 'SPAMMERS' to get in) to prove you are a real "NON SPAM" poster ...those spammers make it hard for everyone, all around!

Cheers

>> P.S. I'm all for having an easy 'reference' thread... is this something that you would go back over past topics etc and put them in the new "Kristal Easy Reference" section?
If so, sounds like a great idea, ...although a LOT of work in sorting and sifting through...there's many hidden 'gems' inside some threads that don't start off as being a good reference thread but have excellent info in them. Just curious how that would get handled - if at all, as it may be too much to do ...as it's a labour of love already.

KAE is lucky to have you - all you mods here! I'd hate to picture what it would be like by now without the past intervention in your attempts to stop these relentless spammoids!

SHARE THE MUSIC - Get heard on gmhCafe Radio / ... go to www.gmhCafe.com

Check out my tunes and enjoy!
MY MUSIC and NEW Web Space: http://www.gmhcafe.ca

======

http://www.ttmbandroom.com/Jim50/

http://www.ttmbandroom.com/Sensonic_Travelpod/
jm2552

Mood: Got to admit it's getting better

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 05:05

I just thought of a good reason to buy footwear from this clown. Has to do with where I'd place the shoe:D:D
leeevvii9

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 05:54

P:P:P:P

better get me a pair too JM!!:P:P:

combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
18-10-2011 at 11:23
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
19-10-2011 at 09:59
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
27-10-2011 at 10:44
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
4-11-2011 at 09:44
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
5-11-2011 at 01:08
combobob
Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 01:13

There is a discussion amd poll at the moment on the TTM forum about the future of the Kristal Challenges
Open Platform Chalenge

The idea is:
given that Kristal is probably being used by less and less folks as newer, bigger, better DAW's come on the market, the number of entries in our monthly Challenges is dwindling.

It has been proposed that we open our Challenge to everyone, whatever system of recording you use and focus more on the songwriting.

If you would like to contribute to the discussion please go to the link above.

CB

Win 7 X64, SB Audigy 2 Platinum, KX3551, Studio One 2.5 Professional, 1975 Fender Jazz, Yamaha RBX270J Custom Fretless, Tanglewood TW170 Acoustic...

Do Not Click
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
15-11-2011 at 10:45
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
22-11-2011 at 10:57
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
27-11-2011 at 05:45
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
1-12-2011 at 10:25
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
3-12-2011 at 07:17
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
10-12-2011 at 07:48
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
19-12-2011 at 07:09
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
22-12-2011 at 09:28
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
26-12-2011 at 06:23
bgaam

Mood: Those aren't mistakes, those are grace notes!

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 14:31

This is ridiculous! Not even could Mathias have put a "Captcha" for bots, but yeh new users should be approved by a moderator. So silly.

http://bgmatthews.com -> over 200 free bg mp3s
* No Ads... No Cookies... No Less-Fi Standalone Player...
bg -> http://myspace.com/44488079
bgaam -> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=673830
fb -> https://www.facebook.com/bruce.gabriel.matthews
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
29-12-2011 at 08:04
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
5-1-2012 at 14:33
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
5-1-2012 at 14:54
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
7-1-2012 at 10:14
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
7-1-2012 at 10:41
Markwhite07
Thread Pruned
12-1-2012 at 20:11
leeevvii9
Thread Pruned
30-1-2012 at 05:20
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
3-2-2012 at 09:40
Pilsener

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 19:28

I agree that some kind of FAQ about Kristal could be a nice thing to have as a sticky.
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
15-2-2012 at 10:01
Markwhite07
Thread Pruned
16-2-2012 at 15:54
Markwhite07
Thread Pruned
16-2-2012 at 19:48
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
20-2-2012 at 09:52
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
24-2-2012 at 09:51
Markwhite07
Thread Pruned
16-3-2012 at 17:50
bigB1885
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 20:36

Hi guys... a "captcha" is a great idea imo, or a simple email verification link...

Still, this site has sentimental value to me, and Imo, others.. I will continue to visit
when I can, and hope the mods continue their valuable time and efforts to keep this site
up and running/readable...

Thanks,

Brian

alboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-5-2012 at 13:30

Its so quiet in here. its like a little mexican village. every now and then a little bit of tumble weed blows down the main street. but barely anyone notices it.

Hedgehog

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 00:18

Yep, sure is quiet but what's to say?

I think most of the people here are experienced and don't need help with Kristal. Plus there aren't many new users pitching in because Kristal is not being up-dated and they would think it was "old hat" anyway. (The fact that it works and does a good job doesn't appeal.)

People like me who use DAWs like multi-track recorders, play everything in from "real" instruments and don't use midi, MP3s, VSTs, etc., are in the minority.

Sigh!! :-)
agradeleous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 00:19

I feel I resemble remark Al ! kind of sucks .... though I can post my thoughts on that. I have got to a point were I will just step a way .... and that in it self is a thought so ... off I go ! ;)
Bri

[*] posted on 25-5-2012 at 23:33

Hedgehog, I'm there with you, except that I do use some (free) effects. When it comes to MIDI and virtual instruments though, count me out. A bit too old to start learning new trix, so until I get to know Studio 1 (the free version of which I just downloaded), Kristal is where I'll be...and always after that too - no matter how "old hat" or untrendy it may be. Works for me and works well. It's sad to see it all end up like this though.
Take care
Bri
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 26-5-2012 at 13:40

Hi, Bri!

It's new blood that the site needs and what I was trying to say was that Kristal is not new enough, or gimmicky enough to win over the fickle tyre-kickers. I've been doing this music thing successfully for a long time now and I've seen so many fads come and go. People buy/acquire things. Play around with them for a while, not learning their full capabilities and then get bored and want a new toy. Hah! I date back to single track recorders in commercial radio. I can still get commercial/saleable musical results out of those two track machines but programmes like Kristal make it all so much easier and take up a lot less room. All it takes is imagination and patience and there's the problem. I don't need loops or samples. I need an accurate recording medium which Kristal provides.

Have a good one,
HH.
Bri

[*] posted on 27-5-2012 at 22:12

Hi again H
Agree with everything you say. I recently hit my old age pension - God how I hate that word OLD!!! Trouble is, the body's catching up to it. Yep, I remember Frankie Laine, Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day - well you have to remember that last; her films are on almost every day. I remember getting up at six in the morning to haul myself down to the BBC to do a morning's recording on those two track machines and try to sing. Ah, those were the days?????
Kristal wise, it has all that I need and I know how it works, but I still find the odd new thing every now and then - and that's after several years of use. Thes new DAWs with all their bells and whistles...AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! As you say, I want something that's not a plaything. Again,
Take care,
Bri
Hedgehog

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 03:02

G'day, Bri!

Yep! I'm of that age. My early haulage wasn't the BBC but I was doing the dawn chorus on radio.... I think in the days of pedal generators!.... joke!

I've been doing some thinking (a difficult thing to do for me). I can't think of anything to improve this site other than the new blood I mentioned and I can't see how to do that.... Kristal T-shirts in music shops? Kristal workshops?

I'm surprised that Kristal is still breathing and that's due only to the dedication of the few stalwarts for whom I'm very grateful but how much longer will they persist?

Kristal needs publicity but I think Matthias would rather let it lay. Studio One is his task now. I'd say he still has a soft spot for it and that's why it's still staggering on but, with no updates or....?

I will do some more thinking but I don't have much to work with!

Cheers,
HH
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
12-7-2012 at 10:24
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
12-8-2012 at 10:09
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
28-8-2012 at 22:51
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
9-9-2012 at 01:30
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
17-9-2012 at 10:34
neilmac

[*] posted on 20-9-2012 at 20:02

I think that's an excellent idea.....I'd certainly make good use of it.
I finally registered instead of using the forums to fix my problems as a guest lol
Only took me 3 years to do it :P
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
21-9-2012 at 15:04
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned
21-9-2012 at 22:43
combobob
Administrator
Thread Pruned