Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: KRISTAL 2 - The Future
matthias
Super Administrator

smile.gif posted on 24-12-2004 at 16:51
KRISTAL 2 - The Future

Hi all,

it's been a bit silent around KRISTAL since the last public release in June this year. The good news first: KRISTAL is alive and well and we are currently preparing the second strike ;-) Now the (not-that-)bad news: It will take some more months of heavy development to prepare a stable version for public release.

So, what's going on behind the scenes:

KRISTAL 1.0 was based on a very simple architecture I've started about five years ago. It has several structural weaknesses which limit what we could reach with the product on feature side. Therefore the decision was made to set up a completely new infrastructure for KRISTAL 2. And this is where we are today. Major parts of the engine are being rewritten, the application currently is a huge and complex construction site.

Features

It is far too early to make any commitments on the final feature set of KRISTAL 2. One of the bigger things we are preparing is MIDI and Virtual Instrument support. Additionally, we try to implement new usability concepts not yet seen in similar audio applications (sounds promising, ey ;-) ).

Cross-platform

KRISTAL 2 is planned as a cross-platform product for Windows and Mac OS X. Btw, the basic application already runs on Mac OS ;-) Most of the code is written in a platform-independent manner, but as always the devil's in the detail. We do not expect to release for both platforms simultaneously. The PC version will come first, because it's the main development platform and the Mac version is planned to follow later on.

Commercial or Freeware

As already mentioned earlier, KRISTAL 2 is likely to become a commercial product. We think this is the right way to go to be competitive in the long run. There are some companies interested in distributing the product, but so far nothing has been signed. Additionally, a fully-functional basic version will remain free for private use!

We'll keep you up-to-date at this place with any further progress made.
Stay tuned & have nice holidays!

Cheers,

Mattthias
Doug W

Mood: I no longer work in a turkey poop plant!

[*] posted on 24-12-2004 at 17:09

Thanks for the update and the idea of leaving a fully functional free version. Let us know when you need some BETA testers for version 2.

Thanks,
Doug W
WickedWorld

[*] posted on 24-12-2004 at 21:00

Matthias,

KAE Rocks !!!
Thank you for adding MIDI support.

Looking forward to 2.x

WW :cool:
perrya

Mood: Running the BIG race

[*] posted on 24-12-2004 at 23:26
kristal the future

Best news all year!! Thanks and Merry Christmas
Janne

[*] posted on 26-12-2004 at 13:19
Kristal 2.

Thanks for the updatenews and the idea of leaving a fully functional free version. And Happy New Year.. from Sweden
kroeger

[*] posted on 28-12-2004 at 17:56
Thanks so far!!

High

at first thanks for the best RecordingApplication i know. Nice to hear that you gys are working to make KAE better. But PLEASE keep it simple!! its one of the Engines biggest features that it is easy to use. And please keep a version without all midi-stuff, or create a big fat button to deaktivate all midi-funktions ;o)

Greets from Germany
watoto

[*] posted on 28-12-2004 at 22:10

is the free version supporting midi or will you leave that to the commercial version?please keep the price down quite a bit.if it ends up being even vaguely expensive,it will become just another commercial sequencer,unless you add some revolutionary quality to it.please understand that there are already tons of sequncers on the market,some of them with incredibly low prices and the same functionality of more expensyve sequencers.
while i totally understand the need to go commercial,with all the work you put into creating the app,consider most people are probably here because the sequencer is A) easy to use and B)free.
so,yes,i'd be willing to cash out for it,but not big time,as it's not the only sequencer around,no matter how much i love it.that said,thanks fo the news and good work!
ViLo

[*] posted on 29-12-2004 at 04:23

1000 thumbs up..................OK I need some more fingers........:cool:
kjc
Unregistered

[*] posted on 29-12-2004 at 08:26

great news, and as Doug W says, please let us know when you need some beta testers
Dino Wodini
Posting Freak

Mood: Life isn't about how to survive the storm,but how to dance in the rain

[*] posted on 30-12-2004 at 07:07

Love Kristal the way it is.

To have a new and free fully featured Kristal would be a dream

Fantastic work

Dino
:)
watoto

[*] posted on 30-12-2004 at 22:02

i guess you're right.actually,i was using Kristal the other day and i realized that,no matter what,i would be willing to cash out for the full version,i love it too much!
newbie brad

Mood: Love Kristal

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 19:25

Kristal is very functional, and I use it like I would use a really good kitchen knife. I'm sure I will like the new features alot. Please leave the functional aspect intact.
GodsMalak

[*] posted on 16-1-2005 at 20:53

I'm up for testing the Beta. I test a lot of them, I have a computer just for such occasions... Which seem to happen quite often...J

Pray WITHOUT ceasing...
cin

[*] posted on 17-1-2005 at 03:05

I think all of us beta testers should get the commercial version of Kristal at no charge since we have contributed much toward the development. I think all our kind donations should be fair enough. You could make the new commercial full version available for download to current users with a KAE Forum password and block out all others who didn't sign up in the forum before Kristals release date. :P
Joe D

Mood: Curious

smile.gif posted on 28-1-2005 at 11:43
The commercial future?

Hi. I am new here and just recently heard of Kristal.

The program looks very good, but I am worried about the idea of Kristal becoming commercial software.

Kristal must be pretty much alone in the front as a free sequencer/multitrack studio. A clear winner in it's own field!

There are so many commercial applications but few winners. And the program will come up against steep competition. Will it be able to win through there too? Or will it just remain in the commercial bottom while another free program may grabs the attention in the free software community?

I am not against making money. I do that too, but consider the affection of the private users carefully. They are great ambassadors for the program, recommending it to paying users too. And they do that for free also. So please keep a real, working, free version too. The money will come, if you keep away from getting greedy.
erik1185

[*] posted on 31-1-2005 at 04:40

Any chance of video support in next version? :D
Zuluman

Mood: Heart Full of Soul

[*] posted on 31-1-2005 at 12:21
Zuluman?s Pleaze!

Zuluman

[*] posted on 31-1-2005 at 12:25
Zuluman?s Original pleaze

About Video support...

Video support and videos of big breasted chicks, recording naked with KAE on the paradise island studios.

Greetings from Local striptease club...Zulumaan!
erik1185

thumbup.gif posted on 1-2-2005 at 05:15

so yes? no? mabey so?
scum

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 13:39

hello and cheers for the soft! i will ask only: "when - 2?"
memento313

[*] posted on 19-2-2005 at 07:17
NO MIDI!

what makes kristal special is what used to makea acid special- it is audio only- it streamlines the creative process by making it simple. Continue down hsi road and it will beacome just another midi/audio sequencer - and teh market is already flooded. I think teh best thing to do is focus on makingeth app even better at what it does ( paintbrush entry, ect) rather than spreading it too thin. I wont buy a midi version.
Zuluman

smile.gif posted on 19-2-2005 at 14:15
Yes Midi, maybe?

Whiddowadooxch!

Yes Midi, maybe.....I won?t buy midi either...but if they give it free, I say thanks and maybe try it . What?s so bad/evil about midi? If ya get it FREE?:)

Greetings from the Midi Jungle, Zuluman
digius

[*] posted on 26-2-2005 at 18:05
midis

I'm too for non-midi. Not all need midi features depending how one makes his/her music. I never use midi, but record guitars, synths, vocals and mix them with this amazing KAE app. The user interface is amazing, so don't you go and change it too much. Rock on..:cool:

doomwatcher

[*] posted on 26-2-2005 at 22:58
thanks for midi :)

thanks for midi :)

http://audiochemists.be

Doomwatcher
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
watoto

[*] posted on 28-2-2005 at 18:33

i was also thunking,it would be great if you made kristal skinnable,or enable the user to move around windows and things,to make the appearence more personalized and fit all tastes.i'm personally in favorof midi big time.i figure,if you like k the way it is and don't need midi,just use the current version,why ask to remove a good feature?
anyway,you guys really have to let us in on the status of version 2.0,i'm really looking forward to it.so,what's up with k2?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top