Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Audacity
Old Goat
Posting Freak

Mood: I wonder what this button does...

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 02:51
Audacity

Problem:click "open in external editor'. Monkey with track in Audacity. Save. Close. Click 'unlock and refresh', have same, unadulterated track. Import file saved from Audacity, same, unadulterated track.:mad:
My compadre in NM is having the same problem. Why can't we commit adultery with our tracks?:P;)
In my case, it was a rhythm guitar track with some nasty clips in it. Compression wasn't working, so I decided to try the hard limiter in Audacity. I tried twice, and both times got back a track with identical wave forms. Whuddammidoonrong??:o

O.G.
Soundclick
ezfolk
CdBaby

Null\'s Axiom: If an event which is clearly impossible continues to occur, you\'ve missed something.
Dino Wodini
Posting Freak

Mood: Life isn't about how to survive the storm,but how to dance in the rain

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 04:56

O.G., maybe you have to physically save the modified file to your hard dorive before exditing Audacity. Delete you original track in Waver and File/Import new one????

Maybe????

I have also had probl;ems using Audacity asw my KAE external editor. For Export Mixdown during creating one of my masterpieces :P;) I usually do an export mixdown of say my double up rythm track. Fiddle with the mixdown wave file in Audacioty and then File/Import it back into KAE.

Cant help you other than that.

Smurf is a great Audacity whizz.

Dino

~PJ~
Posting Freak

Mood: Summer is passing all too quickly...

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 08:37

If you do your edit track by track in Audacity, then export each track as a wav from Audacity and import into the Waver, that should work.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people, Love in our lives,
Delight in the good, Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.

St. John\'s Music group

Smurf\'s Tips on EQ
KAE Info Station
EQ part 1
EQ part 2
Latency
Recording Techniques
The Huge Free to Use VST Sticky Thread
Old Goat
Posting Freak

Mood: I wonder what this button does...

[*] posted on 28-10-2006 at 01:35

Thanks again, Sir Smurfington! I'll alert my pal to the fix, and the alternatives. I think I deleted TWE and Wavepad because I just didn't have time to learn to use them--might have to rethink that!:D:D:D

O.G.
Soundclick
ezfolk
CdBaby

Null\'s Axiom: If an event which is clearly impossible continues to occur, you\'ve missed something.
Dulcimerman

Mood: Little high, little low, easy come, easy go....

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 12:37

OK, I'm an absolute NOOB here, but I'll ask anyway. Why would you want to take something done in Krystal, move it to another program, edit it there, and come back with it to Krystal? I understand that another program may have a feature that Kristal doesn't have and you want to use that, maybe? I was recording on Audacity first and I hated the reverb - this is when I found Kristal, and I've never used Audacity since.

Just curious....I'm so new to trying to record - just trying to understand what some of you are doing!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
~PJ~
Posting Freak

Mood: Summer is passing all too quickly...

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 13:55

There are certain things you can't do in kristal - such as shortening or lengthening notes or changing pitch.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people, Love in our lives,
Delight in the good, Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.

St. John\'s Music group

Smurf\'s Tips on EQ
KAE Info Station
EQ part 1
EQ part 2
Latency
Recording Techniques
The Huge Free to Use VST Sticky Thread
colin
Posting Freak

Mood: In one of those...

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 15:48

Additionally Audacity and the like (in my opinion) are more useful to the mastering process, tweaking the overall wav,vogg etc. file for more general consumption.
Dew

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 16:31

Smurf,
after reading your post I checked out soundforge 8 and found it has something pretty cool.

"You can also start recording when a certain audio threshold is reached with Threshold Record Triggering."

is there a plug-in or a way to make this happen with kristal?
The fan's on my pc are loud so I have to record vocals in another room so I have a 1 minute click track at the begining of the tune just so I can hit record and make a mad dash for the mike, put on headphones. Man it would be nice to just say something into the mike to trigger recording!!!
Dew
Dulcimerman

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 20:57

Makes sense - wish I wasn't technically inept so I could create some GOOD recordings! You guys blow me away with your knowledge of all this.

Speaking of purchased programs, I bought Cakewalk Music Creator 2 back in February before I found Audacity and Kristal. I have NEVER gotten that puppy to work (no sound - even bought and installed a new sound card - nothing!). Kicker is I've emailed the Cakewalk guys about my probs 3 times - never got one response from them. Looks like a pretty good program - IF I could get it to work. Anyone have any suggestions? Punt? LOL:P
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
marker2006

[*] posted on 13-11-2006 at 01:28

Dulcimerman, check your options and preferences in Cakewalk, you probably
dont have the right soundcard selected for input and output.

Do you have an external input device (Like M-Audio) if yes make sure
you have that selected as your input/output sound device.

My version of cakewalk defaulted to the integrated soundcard on
the motherboard and I was not hearing anything.
Dulcimerman

[*] posted on 13-11-2006 at 19:53

I thought I had done that, but may not have followed through as competely as I thought, Marker. I'll give that a shot tonight when I get home. I can't even hear the demo play.

I'm inputting externally - running the mic into the mic input on the back of the comp.

I'd love to get the thing to at least work, since I paid for it LOL!
goldbaker

[*] posted on 14-11-2006 at 07:22

I've used Cakewalk Music Creator (2002 version), well, since 2002. It took me a while to get sound out of it, just because it was the first audio program I had. I remember walking through all of the preference settings, and then realized the microphone was muted on my computer's mixing board (open - volume controls, if you haven't tried that yet). I still use Music Creator for final trimming.

I now usually use my BR-864 for audio based recording, and various trackers or DAWs for my computer creations. Everything then winds up going through Kristal, which I use as a platform for mastering. (I like the Kjaerhus EQ and Reverb, and Digitalfishphones Endorphin for a mastering compressor\limiter.) Then the mixdown gets exported for trimming and fadeout in Music Creator.

Go To Top