KRISTAL User Community
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How do I record onto a laptop...desperate?
Bri

Mood: Happy, got me keys back

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 19:32
How do I record onto a laptop...desperate?

Hi everyone
I got a question (Actually, it's in the post title). :)
I've always recorded onto a desktop computer, but space now dictates I need to change to a laptop - unless I can persuade my ever loving to let me move the desktop, keyboards, guitar et al up to our bedroom (doubtful). :(
I never had any trouble with the desktops - now on my third. However, we have 3 laptops, all with 1 gig ram which, if memory serves, should be ample to run Kristal which again, if memory serves needs 256 megs to run it.
My problem is that although I can actually record onto each of the laptops, the sound I hear is delayed from the actual played note; that is, I play a note and hear it around half a sec later. I tried laying down a metronome track on Kristal, but it's impossible to play to, even with the first piece of music I ever learned. The music track is way out, because how do you play out of time to a metronome??? I thought, it's not the ASIO, but I tried setting it up in Kristal, with each of the three versions on there; all three at once even. It didn't work, which I didn't expect it to as, so far as I can make out, the sound is delayed before it even reaches the computer. I thought maybe it might be the length of the leads I use - my headphones have a 9 foot lead and the lead from the keys is about 15 feet, 25 feet in all back to my ears from the keys. Then I thought, "Nah, it's always worked in time on the desktop." And anyway, if electric travels at the speed of light (7 times round the earth per second), it's not really going to have much of a problem with 25 feet, is it?
Now, I know that many of you out there must record onto a laptop with no problems (or else you wouldn't carry on doing it would you?), so I thought I would post this to see if anyone might have some sort of a solution to this prob? Hopefully, someone might be able to shed a ray of light, please? Pretty please (lol)? :( :( :(
As always,
Take care,
Bri
Please help, otherwise it's the under the stairs cubby hole recording studio for the rest of eternity.
Markwhite07

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 14:41

I'll bet it is latency (I might be wrong, but...). Try installing ASIO for all. Search for instructions and download links. I know there is a lot of info about it here in the forum.

Bri

Mood: Happy, got me keys back

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 17:52

Hi Mark
Many thanks for your reply. I also posted this onto the Two Track Music Forum http://www.twotrackmusic.com/forums/index.php?topic=5255.0 ...let's just say it hasn't been solved - completely, BUT!!! I tried everything I could think of, as well as installing ASIO4ALL, going into the registry (dangerous ground for me) and many other things. Nothing worked. There was no difference to the 1/2 second delay at all. It turned out (seems the general consensus of opinion) that it's most likely the laptop not having enough RAM (1 gig) to cope with running W7 plus Kristal. The end result is that I shipped the desktop up to our bedroom and if I want to record anything now, I have to hump the piano - 88 note full range - keyboard through and set it up. It's not ideal, a bit cramped, but it sort of works. Anyway Mark, thanks again for your reply - appreciated - and, as always,
Take care,
Bri
gonzokev

Mood: :p

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 18:20

Have you made sure that you're actually using Asio 4 All when in Kristal though? You still have to select it through the preferences, and make sure you using the Asio inputs, as you can still use the standard soundcard settings.

I've found as soon as making sure Asio is all fully selected the latency problems basically disappear.

Go To Top