KRISTAL User Community
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: need help - external editor
slub

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 21:19
need help - external editor

I'm new to Kristal. I selected Audacity as external editor in preferences. When I use Audacity as external editor and unlock and refresh in Kristal, nothing happens.

I set Audacity to copy file as well as well as read the file from original. I've saved changes in Audacity and not saved changes. Nothing I do seems to make any difference at all when I get back to Kristal.

I've been able to muck my way through it all up to this point, but now I'm stumped. Can someone help me?

On a different, but related note, how is the learning curve of Studio One Free compared to Kristal?

Griff5

[*] posted on 5-5-2013 at 04:49

I use Wavosaur as my external editor, works real well, I haven't tried Audacity from inside Kristal so I thought I'd give it a go. I opened a project in Kristal selected a track, right clicked and chose edit in external editor. When Audacity opened I chose read directly from original. Did some edits and clicked the file tab and chose export. I chose the original Kristal project media file for the save destination, Kristal pulls from this file so I kept the same file name as the original and did an over ride of the original file on the save. Unlock and refresh in Kristal and the edited track showed up.You need to use the export, Audacity saves in a format that only opens in Audacity.With Wavosaur when I'm done editing I just close the program it asks if I want to save, click yes and it opens up in Kristal with the unlock and refresh. Audacity is a little more work but workable. I use Audacity for tempo changes and click tracks and Wavosaur as my external editor from Kristal. Both programs are free and useful. As far as Studio One goes, someone else will have to help you out. I have it but really don't use it. Hope this helps.
slub

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 23:03

WOW! Thanks for going to so much effort. I appreciate it.

In the interim I discovered how to change volume and fade out within Kristal - which is what I thought I had to use an external editor for.

This dialogue has been very useful though. I was wondering how project files could be so small. Now I see how...the wav files are hiding in the media folder.

What are these peak files though? I had a whole bunch of them littering up a folder that I've since deleted. I'm guessing they must serve a purpose....meaning I can't just delete them, yes?

Just so I understand what's going on here, what purpose do peak files serve and what action produces a peak file?

There are some clumsy parts to Kristal, but overall this is a pretty cool program. Way good enough for my purposes.
Griff5

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 23:41

I think the peak files are temporary files, cache files to open the audio file faster. I've gotten into the habit of using the save to new folder feature in the file tab once I've reopened a saved project. You can save your project and its media files in the same folder keeping things seperate from other projects. There is plenty of info on file management in this forum. The search engine is the top left corner.

Go To Top