KRISTAL User Community

Funny, isn't it? (favourite artists)

Spiral - 16-9-2008 at 20:02

It's funny, that even I've been on this board for years, and kind of "know" a lot of you, I don't know your favourite artists. I know some, but it's only vague notions here and there.

So, in all simplicity, post your favourite artists. And if you wish, tell us why you love 'em, how they have influenced you etc.

Ok, I go first. In no specific order.

Iron Maiden (heard "Piece of mind" when I was 5 years old, loved them ever since)

Metallica (this was the s**t when I was teen! And justice for all!)

Black Sabbath / Ozzy (Can't say enough about them.)

Pink Floyd ("Found" them only about 5 years ago!)

Kiss (Childhood heroes... You gotta play tennis racket, and play it hard, when you hear "God of Thunder"!)

Yes (A whole new world for me. Close to the Egde, very close!)

Judas Priest

Motörhead

Devin Townsend (A genius!)

I will probably com eback with "I forgot..." and of course these are not the only ones I listen, but they are the ones that came into my mind at the moment.

jaboc83 - 16-9-2008 at 20:36

My musical tastes vary WIDELY, but I'll throw down some of my inspirations for the way I play and what I play.

Metallica - is the reason I picked up a guitar and gave a rip about music.

Led Zeppelin - taught me that after 10 years of guitar I still really wanted to play the drums ;)

Satriani - taught me to play guitar properly at a high rate of speed. Also, that music theory gets complicated.

SRV and Hendrix - taught me that playing like Satriani is a lot of wasted effort because one note with soul and a great tone beats all the perfect 64th note arpeggios in the world.

Rage Against the Machine and Sublime - taught me that bass is the best instrument in a three piece band. Also, you don't have to play like flea to stand out and drive the sound :)

Pantera - introduced me to the glorious beast that is the kick drum.

Jonny Lang - taught me that a telecaster can be used for something other than a neat wall clock.

Garth Brooks - taught me how to sing

All the Oldies 60's&70's - taught me that all you need is a catchy tune; sound quality is a minor detail.

jim50 - 16-9-2008 at 21:16

I've also a very WIDE taste in various genres as I grew up...

Beatles... taught me that music can take you places you've never been.

Led Zeppelin:... a whole lotta love....yahh,

Early Black Sabath... Iron Man.

Pink Floyd ... Picked up where the Beatles left off...for me.

Yes.... ALL their albums.... wonderful artful rock with high calibre production.

BB KING, Muddy Waters, ... the blues, oh yah. Learned the blues scale..opening up new doors for me musically.

Coleman Hawkins.. Grandfather of the tenor Sax.... wow, smooth sexy sax... gotta love it.

Gentle Giant.... A rock band with "classical" training....Acquired a different taste in music... discovered
there IS more to music than just good ol rock.

Genesis... Peter Gabriel...Phil Colins... Production and musical technique is awsome.

King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer. Robert Fripp. Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe...Bill Bruford (Drummer for Yes, UK)

Santana... turned me on to sweet lead guitar... one note can say soooo much.

John McLachlin Mahavisnu Orchestra.. Al Di meola... talk about quick leads...whew.

Bach, Bethoven, Brandenburg.... a whole new thing...symphonic.

Steely Dan ... love their productions, and musicality.

Ravi Shankar, Anoushka Shankar... music of India.

Frank Zappa.... production, freedom of Expression in lyrics, amazing guitarist, producer, ... he worked with some great musicians.

Satriani, Stevie Vai,

The Police, Sting,

Sade....smooth music....

Bob Marley... turned me on to reggae

Eric Clapton... early and recent...

.... it's hard to think of just off the top of my head....I have alot more genres that have influenced me, besides above. :cool:

EDIT >>> thought of a few more...
On the country side ...

George Jones,
George Straight
Dolly Pardon
Eddie Rabbit
Ronnie Milsap
Mac Davis
Willy Nelson
...and the boys...lol
Those among others were some of the country influence as I was learning to play bass for a country band.

I still listen to some NEW Country...yeee haw...now and then.

I also enjoy

Jazz
Latin
Ambient
Techno
New Age

How about "Tool" :P (my son's influence on me...lol:P

MandolinPicker - 16-9-2008 at 22:47

Well, guess mine will be a bit different from most folks, but here goes;

Bill Monroe - father of bluegrass. Helped bring the mandolin out in the open and showed what it can really do. Hey, it isn't everyday you get a whole genre of music credited to you!

John Duffy - THE sound of high lonesome, with his high tenor voice. Listen to the Country Gentlemen or the early Seldom Scene. His high harmonies are classic. He was also a heck of a mandolin player. Best part was he never took himself too seriously. It was a sad day indeed when he left this world.

Roger Miller - One of the best song writers in country music. He brought a style and smile back into country music. Never finished high school.

Ron Block - Plays Banjo and Guitar with Alison Krauss and Union Station. An excellent songwriter and musician. His stuff sounds easy until you try to play it.

Mike Andes - Another mandolin player with the up and coming group "Nothin Fancy" Also an excellent songwriter.

Doyle Lawson & Quick Silver - This is the way bluegrass gospel should sound. Everyone around a single microphone. And what can I say, another fine mandolin player.

Ray Davis - Not a musician or singer, but a DJ. First heard him as a kid growing up outside Baltimore. He had a bluegrass show sponsored by "Johnny of Johnny's Used Cars!" Yeah, it was a small station, but my father listened to it every day during dinner. Ray Davis would take you on train rides with the Wreck of the Old 97 or John Henry, send you a "plum pitiful" tune like "Ole Shep". Or play the classics "Long Black Veil" and "Bringing Mary Home" by the Country Gentlemen. Then at the top of the hour it was "Hymn Time" and he would play a country gospel record. You can still here him today at http://bluegrasscountry.org/programs/the-ray-davis-show. He is probably the biggest reason I came back to bluegrass. He is like the music; real!

bigB1885 - 17-9-2008 at 04:07

Guitarists:

Les Paul
Carlos Santana
Leo Kottke
John Sebastian
Earl Klugh
Eric Clapton
John Mclaughlin

and more....

Groups:

Beatles
Cream
Steppinwolf
Cat Stevens
LZ
Mothers of Invention
Black Sabbath
Jethro Tull
Yes

and more....

Composers:

Mozart
Stavinsky
John Phillips Susa
Bach

and more....

Oh, I almost forgot..... oh well, I forgot! :P

jm2552 - 17-9-2008 at 04:44

Nice selection bigB! You have much the same tastes as myself. Good choices in guitarists IMO. If you like Les Paul, have you ever given a listen to Joe Pass or Barney Kessell? Both excellent musicians from the same era. I'm sure you already know that, tho.

jm2552 - 17-9-2008 at 05:35

OK, mine? Just off the top of my head at the moment:

Beatles (of course)
Stones
George Harrison
McCartney (and Lennon)
Dylan!
Zappa (well, did you think I'd leave him out?)
Brian Wilson (the new album released a couple of weeks ago is just incredible)
Early Rod Stewart (think Gasoline Alley)
Steve Winwood, solo and with Traffic.
Dave Mason
Otis
Sam and Dave
Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield
Beatles cover bands (there you go, Joe Stone!)
Steely Dan
Moby Grape
The Fish
Airplane (original only)
Janis
Canned Heat
Hendrix
Carlos
Jeff Beck!
10 Years After
Floyd
The Fugs
Neil Young
Phil Ochs
Kristofferson
My Morning Jacket
Elton (come on, he had some great stuff:D)
Randy Burns (kinda local to Connecticut, though he did have a great album with the Skydog Band he recorded in California, and which got reviewed in Rolling Stone mag. I can't find his stuff ANYWHERE nowadays!)
Early (real early) Dead tracks
Hot Tuna
Small Faces
Yardbirds
Byrds
Early Eagles (Border album)
Miles Davis
Eric Burdon
Herman's Hermits (dont laugh, great pop music there)
Larry Coryell
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Ramones
James Gang
Velvet Undergroung (and Lou Reed solo)
Tom Waits!!
Joni Mithcell (early, like Blue album)
Grass Roots
MC5
Patsy Cline
Sinatra
And anyone who ever recorded Stardust, the most beautiful song ever written or recorded!

Phew! I think I took up a bit of bandwidth there. But hey, you asked!

Dino Wodini - 17-9-2008 at 13:29

I will give this a go in chronological order (or close as I can)

Mum (played piano and alto singer)
Dad (singer - tenor)
Sergio Mendez
Beatles
Twilights (Aussie band)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (Grapevine / Suzie Q)
Spectrum (Aussie band)
Mike Bloomfield (Blues)
Jose Feliciano
Harry Chapin
Jim Croce
Cat Stevens
Allman Brothers
Chicago Transit Authority
Grand Funk Railroad
Free
Ace
Chris Rea
Led Zeppelin
Neil Young (Harvest)
Elton John
Doobie Brothers
Eagles
Steely Dan
Average White Band
Meat Loaf (cant beat "Bat Out Of Hell")
Bruce Springsteen
Paul Macartney
Billy Joel
Supertramp
Jeff Beck
Jackson Browne
Orleans
Michael Franks
Bep Bob Deluxe / Bill Nelson
Earth Wind & Fire
Peter Gabriel
Toto
Dan Fogleberg
Richard Marx
Donald Fagen (Nightfly)
Hal Ketchum
Garth Brooks
Vince Gill
Steely Dan (again...Two Against Nature)

(had a gap of album buying and listening for a big while)

Nora Jones
Willie Nelson ("and friends" album)
Eva Cassidy
Steely Dan (i know..)
Frank Donecker (fellow past forum member. His music is honest and pure)
Coldplay
James Blunt

Man this is harder than the monthly KAE Challenge.

That's it for now but I am sure there are more

musician-fishin - 17-9-2008 at 16:15

Fat's Domino (Who?) "My Blue Heaven"

Early Rockers...Chuck Berry, Little Richard

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Crosby, Stills & Nash

Brian Wilson (Pet Sounds)

Jackson Brown

some Cold Play

some Maroon 5

I'm really more interested in songs and not artists.
There are even some Beatles songs I don't care for.
A ton of one hit wonder songs.
A ton of British Invasion songs.
A song or two from the Turtles, Hollies, Hermits,...etc.
Not too much I hear today however.

lefrash - 17-9-2008 at 23:45

If I were to put music on in the car it would normally be from this list:

Extreme
Bon jovi
Mr Big
Richie Kotzen
Alter bridge
Aerosmith
Bumblefoot
dave lee roth
Dream Theater
Thunder
Steve Vai
Deep Purple
Van Halen
jason Mraz
John mayer
Skid row
Journey
velvet revolver
Rainbow
Alcatrazz
Freak Kitchen
Muse
greenwheel
Primus
Queen
Racer X

Not a Huge range.

These other ones though, are bands that aren't normally a first choice for me, but I still will go back to them ever so often, as they influence me in a completely different way to my usual taste in music.

graham central Station
Jamiroquai
sly and the family stone
Beatles
faith no more
Micheal Jackson
Talk talk
Ozric Tentacles
Victor Wooten
system of a down
Stevie wonder
guthrie govan

bigB1885 - 18-9-2008 at 05:59

Wow.... some very good stuff on these lists... Good one Spiral! It seems I'm too simple minded to originate these kinds of posts.... glad others do ;)

colin - 18-9-2008 at 10:46

Gosh, where to start??

All of the above and none of the above! You've done it again, Spiral!

Biggest influences for me have to be:

Grateful Dead: just how far can you go without a plan! Plus Garcia is a much overlooked guitarist.

Throwing Muses: while the 'Dead influenced my music, Kristin Hersh is the one who influenced my lyrics. She a has great twisted sense of melody, which you think shouldn't work, but does, and can only wish you could me G to D seem so fresh.

REM: A great live act, who really influnced me when I went to see them 23 years ago (we're both older now!)

Beck: sort of a melting pot of the above really!

And styles that influence me:

Soul
Blues
Bluegrass
US New Wave (Television & Devo, anyone?)

A great post, Spiral, and the list will probably never be finished.

Col

rkennett - 20-9-2008 at 21:07

beastie boys
black sabbath
**** dale
deftones
disturbed
downset
faith no more
filter
fear factory
helmet
jimmies chicken shack
alice in chains
weird al
presidents of the usa
orange 9mm
saigon kick
killswitch engage
one minute silence
pitchshifter
pantera
puya
rancid
red hot chili peppers
sevendust
skindred
soulfly
static-x
stuck mojo
system of a down
tool
weezer
ventures
zebrahead

so basically anything that rocks from 1985-present
that's just a present favorite list

the following surely influence(d) me and i still have but rarely listen to my albums like

skid row
bon jovi
machines of loving grace
motley crue
korn
limp bizkit
incubus
snot
disturbed
marilyn manson
nine inch nails
slipknot

i didn't buy anything that wasn't my favorite for at least a little while

Gazebo - 20-9-2008 at 21:46

Funny how I just compiled this list the other day, for a correspondence with Combo-bob, who I am collaborating with on a project. So here goes:-

Musical heroes, in order of discovering them:

Elton John (especially Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album and for some reason Philadelphia Freedom single)

Beatles – Favorites White Album, Abbey Road, Beatles for Sale, Hard Days Night. Sgt Pepper over-rated, Revolver good but hasn’t got the songs of the others somehow. Rubber Soul almost made the list but Beatles for Sale pipped it because it was most inspirational to me when I got my first guitar in 1978.

Kinks – great lyrics. Acquired “Well Respected Kinks” album with Beatles for Sale and a few others when I bought my first mono record player second-hand and it shaped my approach. Favourite song by the Kinks Shangri-la from Arthur album

Meat Loaf – yes it’s a leap, but had a girlfriend who introduced me to it and I love the bluster and artifice.

Deep Purple – Ritchie Blackmore was brilliant. They sound a bit of a joke now – Ian Gillans lyrics were awful, but the music stands up I think

The Jam – don’t know if they were popular in your part of the world, but natural successors to the Kinks in my opinion. Social conscience, angry guitars. If there is a soundtrack to my late teens, the Jam provided it. Favourite album Setting Sons for astonishing lyrics and creative use of feedback

Elvis Costello – brilliant writer, under-rated performer. Still coming up with challenging and exciting music now, to my ears.

Echo & The Bunnymen. Poets with long coats and weird guitar sounds. When the Jam split I had to go somewhere a long way away from them musically and lyrically. The Bunnymen were romantic where the Jam were political.

The Icicle Works – another favourite who might not have made it anywhere else in the world. Lovely sixties style folk rock with a bit of Neil Young and Led Zep thrown in. Ian McNabb, their lead singer, remains a personal inspiration even now. Great voice.

The Smiths – changed my world. “William It Was Really Nothing” and “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want” on one single changed my mind about what music was all about. Really emotional connection.

Paul Weller as a solo artist – gifted and visionary. I relate to his music because he has been part of my musical life since The Jam in 1977.

Bruce Springsteen. I came to Bruce late. As a post punk kid, I had nothing but disdain for American rock, until I heard the song “The River” and some of his other slower more thoughtful songs. If I’m feeling low I can get my guitar out and perform “The River” to myself and have real tears. It’s an unbelievably strong song.

Edit Note: I should add, my disdain was nothing more than adolescent prejudice, but the plus side of this is that it has left me plenty of stuff to discover since the blinkers have come off. For example....

Bob Dylan – came to Dylan later still. There is a popular image of him as a whining protest singer with a strummed guitar and some harmonica, but that’s not him. Blood On The Tracks has some of his best stuff in my opinion, and the production is faultless. If I was making a country rock record that is how I would want it to sound.

I listen to a lot of new stuff as well, but the names above are my real inspirations. Other things I just like.

I think that lyrics are massively important, and I suppose that might be the common thread through all of these artists (Meat Loaf and Deep Purple excepted).

I never stop looking for new inspiration. I'm really impressed by Kings of Leon's new stuff.

Karmanistic - 3-10-2008 at 09:13

I love EVERYTHING!! Even a good vent window whistle or snow on the TV have a place in my heart! (Remember when cars had vent windows?)

As far as artists, the same applys, lov 'em all!!

to name a few-

Jimmy Durante

Peggy Lee

Hank Williams Sr.

Dean Martin

Melanie

Joe Walsh(genius!)

Both Franks (Sinatra, Zappa)

The Bee Gees

Abba

Danzig

ALL One Hit Wonder Artists

Karmanistic

and YOU!!!

jim50 - 3-10-2008 at 10:40

I forgot to put

Jeff Beck .... "cause we've ended as lovers" ... genius guitar playing.

Roy Buchanan... another great guitar player.

The Guess Who ... No Time .... great solo. (and the Wheatfield Soul Album)

Deep Purple.... "Sweet Child in Time"... one of my all time favourite lead solos.... I used to play "air guitar" to this tune...before "air guitar" was even a term.

Led Zepplin... "Stairway" .....well, pretty much all their stuff.

Pink Floyd .... "Time"....again, another one of my fav all time guitar solos.

Steve Howe.... and any "Yes" related material.

Keith Emerson of ELP.... great keyboardist.

Moody Blues .... great productions.

Van Morrison's "Moon Dance" ... opened the door for Jazz for me.

Those were a few that were "classics" for me.
:)

jm2552 - 13-10-2008 at 02:50

This being the favourite artists thread, just thought I'd add something new. Today I picked up the 8th in the Dylan bootleg series. Haven't gotten any of the others. But I have to say, if you liked any of the recent Trilogy albums, this one is a "must have". All unreleased, outtakes, demos and some live. And most from the Trilogy period. This two disc set was like getting two or three new Dylan albums. I'm a happy camper right now!

jm2552 - 13-10-2008 at 02:52

Hey, my little guys are back! Guess it WAS an Imageshack issue...

musician-fishin - 13-10-2008 at 14:21

I'll add BADFINGER to my favs.

Spiral - 13-10-2008 at 16:35

Of the bands/artists mentioned by others, I like:

Led Zeppelin
Satriani
Pantera
King Crimson
Tool
Jethro Tull
dave lee roth
Dream Theater
Steve Vai
Deep Purple
Van Halen
Rainbow
Queen
system of a down
Racer X
disturbed
faith no more
static-x

Hakira Kamau Tsukaluh!!!

Zuluman - 13-10-2008 at 17:32

Zelo Et Beta Kuru Ramaho!!!!!!!!!!!

Here comes small list of my favourites.......

Jimi Hendrix
The Doors
The Rolling Stones (Expecially albums "Let it bleed", "Beggars banquet", "Sticky Fingers")
The Gun Club/Jeffrey Lee Pierce
The Pretenders
Johnny Cash
Schoking Blue
Screaming Blue Messiahs
Lone Justice (expecially their first album)
Slits
Iggy Pop & The Stooges (Expecially their "Funhouse" album)
Paladins
Motorhead (Expecially their "Another Perfect Day" album, been lovin it since I bought it, when I was about 13 - 14 years old))
The Unknown Gender
Husker Du
Meredith Brooks

And ten thousand more and more..........the list goes on forever:cool:

Cheers..............Zulumaan!!!!!!!!!!!!